You are here

Double Majors & Dual Degrees in Modern Languages

Many students combine a major in a foreign language with another major in the College of Liberal Arts (e.g. B.A. in French and History, Spanish and English, etc.). To do this, you should speak with an advisor in both departments; you will also need to visit the office of the Dean to fill out a form and write a letter detailing your plans. Double majors complete the major requirements of a second major in lieu of a minor; their general education requirements are those of the primary major.

It is also possible to do a dual degree, either within the college of Liberal Arts (e.g. B.A. in French and B.S. in Psychology) or across two colleges (e.g. B.A. in Spanish and B.S. in Engineering). In this case, you complete all the requirements for both degrees (although some may still overlap). You should see advisors in both majors, and the deans of both colleges, to make your plan and have it approved.

Double majors and dual degrees have proven to be very useful to students on the job market; students in fields other than foreign languages who want to study abroad often find that credits earned on study abroad go a long way toward fulfilling requirements in the foreign language.

Fabrice Leroy, Le Bouquin de la bande dessinée

Professor Fabrice Leroy contributed two lengthy chapters to Le Bouquin de la bande dessinée: Dictionnaire esthétique et thématique, edited by Thierry Groensteen, the leading French expert on comics and graphic novels. Published by Robert Laffont Editions in Paris in collaboration with the Cité Internationale de la Bande Dessinée et de l'Image, this 928-page reference work contains in-depth essays from over 40 international scholars who examined a variety of comics-related notions, including historical movements, publishing trends, subgenres, aesthetic and formal devices, themes, and correlations with cultural history. Each entry of this volume is illustrated by an original drawing from renowned French cartoonist Lewis Trondheim. This publication is a flagship event of the French Ministry of Culture’s “Année de la Bande Dessinée,” which coordinates various museum and library exhibitions, as well as festivals across France, in a celebration of comics as an art form (January 2020-June 2021). Fabrice Leroy’s contributions to this volume are devoted to detective fiction (“Polar”) and to the depiction of everyday life in graphic novels (“Quotidien”).